As a mission in Eugene, Oregon, we are each and every day trying to come closer to Christ. It is a process, not a one time event in our lives. It is something we have to focus and spend time on daily. How does one come closer to Christ? We can come closer to Christ and have faith in Him through following the principles that He taught while He was on this earth. It is through DOING these things that we can find the peace and happiness that comes from Christ's Atonement.
The power of the Atonement enables us to change and become better. It is through Christ we can be cleansed from sin. But this requires action. These action principles, such as prayer, scripture study, and church attendance seem simple. And they are; and they work. In 2 Kings chapter 5, it tells about a man , Naaman, who had leprosy, or a plague. He went to the prophet Elisha to be healed. The scriptures then explain: "And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean. But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the Lord his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper."
Naaman wanted and expected to receive some grand gesture and miracle, and was upset at the simplicity of washing in the river Jordan. Are we ever hesitant at the simplicity of the things we are asked to do to grow our faith? Are we willing to follow the council of the Lord no matter what it is?
I know that as we put forth effort and choose to follow Christ that we WILL be able to grow closer to Him. The relationship I have with Him is priceless to me. I would not trade it for anything. It is my driving force in life, he will lead me to where I need to be. I have been able to ask Him anything, where to go to college, if I should serve a mission-and when, if something is true or not, how I can help other people, for forgiveness even. I LOVE God and His son, Jesus Christ!

No comments:
Post a Comment